Friday, August 3, 2012

Shortcut Virus - Can I get My Data back?

Konnichiwa :)

Well, one of my friends encounter this incident yesterday.. Thus, he messaged me and ask about it, so maybe it's better if I post in here as well..

Alright.. First of all, what is a shortcut virus actually? Well, as it's name, it's a virus that makes all your files and folders into a shortcut (which doesn't have actual path), so that you can't open it at all..



Okay, so here is some tricks to get your data if you ever encountered this virus..
  • Open your command prompt
    Start - All Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt

  • Or you can also do it via Run (windows + R), and type cmd

  • Enter this command
    attrib -h -r -s /s /d x:\*.*

    replace the x:\*.* with the label of your drive (E, F, G, etc)

    then press Enter
  • Check your files in your drive
    Now that your files have been unhidden, check them in your drive
  • Scan your drive with antivirus / anti-malware program
    or
    Backup your data and format your Hard Drive

Well then, that's all I can give about handling a shortcut virus.. Oh, and get used to turn off your AutoRun, since it's usually the way for a virus to attack your computer.. I'll give a tips of how to do it later.. :)

See ya ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment